Monday, February 7, 2011

Weekend Wonders.

I had a busy weekend, so I did not get everything posted on time, but better late than never.  I wanted to share my delicious breakfast and lunch from Sunday.  I started my morning with a good uphill walk on Signal Hill with two good friends.  Of course we were talking about a lot of different things, but the closer we got to the finish line, the more we talked about food- we were all getting hungry.  It was very foggy, and quite chilly, so when we finished and the hunger pangs were kicking in, all I could think of was Whole Wheat French Toast.   I cam home and made just that.

Whole Wheat French Toast


In a shallow bowl, whisk three egg whites (1 point) with a tbsp. of nonfat milk.  Add in a 1/2 tsp. vanilla,  a shake of nutmeg, and a few shakes of cinnamon.  Whisk well, and then soak two slices of whole wheat bread (make sure each slice has at least three grams of fiber, 2 pts. per slice) in it- coat evenly.  Meanwhile spray a griddle or non-stick skillet with healthy oil spray and pre-heat.  When hot, place both slices of soaked bread onto the skillet, and pour all egg mixture on top (you need the protein).  Cook for three minutes, then flip and cook until browned.  Spray each slice with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, top with a 1/4 cup of Maple Grove Farms sugar free syrup (30 calories, 1 point) and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.  This is such a satisfying breakfast, and for only 6 points.

After a breakfast like that you think I'd be full all day, but I did walk up a lot of hills, so I was famished by noon.  Good thing I had all the ingredients I needed for a quick and nutritious lunch.  While breakfast was on the sweeter side, lunch was definitely savory.

Polenta Florentine



2 slices of Trader Joe's polenta (comes in a log form, 2 points for 1/5 of the log, I portion my log with a Sharpie before I cut in)
1 tsp. olive oil (1 point)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups spinach leaves
1/2 cup marinara sauce (Trader Joe's Organic marinara sauce, 2 pts.)
1/4 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese (2 points)

In a non-stick skillet, saute the garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat, and make sure pan is well coated with oil.  Add in mushrooms, cover with lid, and cook 1-2 minutes.  Move mushrooms to the edge of the pan, spray each side of polenta with healthy oil spray and place in center of pan.  Cook about 90 seconds on each side, uncovered.  Move some mushrooms onto tops of polenta slices, turn heat to low, and top with spinach leaves, then marinara and finally the mozzarella.  Cover with lid, turn off the heat, and let spinach wilt for 60 seconds.  Remove cover and transfer to dinner plate.  You will love the comfort this dish delivers with its rick marinara, melted cheese, and warm polenta.  You also get a serving of whole grains (polenta is made from corn) a serving of healthy oil, four servings of vegetables, and some dairy- can't beat that for 7 points!

Enjoy your Monday, I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment