Thursday, February 24, 2011

Meat and Potatoes.

I know what you're thinking...how can you follow a diet plan and have meat and potatoes?  Well I do, and did, twice today!  My lunch was "Burgers and Fries" which I made my way with Boca Burger patties, and skillet potatoes, while my fabulous dinner (thanks honey for cooking the steak) was medium-rare top sirloin, roasted potatoes with Madeira mushrooms and brocollini.  I know you're supposed to eat light at dinner, but tonight I ate like a queen! 

"Burgers and Fries"

2 Boca Burger patties (2 pts each)
non-stick spray
1/2 cup sliced onions
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp. lowfat shredded cheddar cheese (1 pt)
3 oz. baked potato (1 pt)
1 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. bbq sauce (1 pt for both sauces combined)

I start by prepping my veggies and my skillets.  I spray a large and a small skillet with non-stick spray.  I slice my onions and mushrooms and put them in the large skillet on medium heat. I slice the baked potato and place that in the small skillet over medium heat- and cover both.  The steam adds moisture and speed the cooking time.  After a couple of minutes, flip the potatoes and turn to low heat.  Stir the onions and mushrooms and spread to the outside of the pan.  In the empty center, spray again and place two Boca burger patties- cover and cook 2 minutes.  Lift lid, flip and cook the other side for 2 more minutes.  Turn off heat, and move some of the onion and mushroom mixture to the top of your Boca patties, and  top each with a tbsp. of lowfat shredded cheddar.  Cover for one minute, grab your plate and condiments- you're ready to eat!  7 points.  You could always skip the second patty and toast an Orowheat sandwich thin for only one more point.  Another variation is to serve Ore-Ida Golden Crinkle Cut french fries- 12 are only 2 points ( though I haven't calculated them on the new points plus plan.

Steakhouse Supper

4 oz. top sirloin (5 pts)
1 tsp. oil ( 1 pt.)
3 oz. roasted potatoes (today I bought a medley from Trader Joe's- purple, red and Yukon gold- 1 pt.)
1 tsp. olive oil (1 pt.)
1 cup brocollini
1 tsp. olive oil (1 pt.)
1/2 cup Madeira mushrooms
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp. olive oil (1 pt.)

I started by pulling the steak out of the fridge to come to room temperature, and prepping my veggies.  For the potatoes, I quartered them, tossed them all with 1 tbsp. olive oil, sprinkled them with kosher salt and clipped some fresh rosemary overall.  I put them on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and roasted them at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes.

For the brocollini, I rinsed it, trimmed it (2 pkgs from Trader Joe's will serve two, as I really only like the tops) and put 2 tsp of olive oil in a non-stick skillet along with two cloves of garlic, minced.  Heat the oil, put the somewhat wet brocollini in the pan when heated, cover to cook for 2 minutes.  When al dente, turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper.

For the mushrooms (1 pkg of organic button mushrooms from Trader Joe's), I brushed them and halved them. Next, mince 1 small shallot.  In a saute pan, add 1 tsp of butter and 1 tsp of olive oil.  When hot, add the shallots and cook for one minute.  Add the mushrooms and cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Then add 1/4 cup of Madeira wine.  Simmer the mushrooms for another 5 minutes.

For the steak, season as you like, prepare a cast iron skillet (rub with canola oil and heat) and sear steak for 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.  Once cooked, move to cutting board and let rest for a couple of minutes.  Meanwhile, plate your veggies (3 oz. potatoes, 1 cup or half of brocollini, 1/2 cup of mushrooms) and cut and weigh 4 oz. of meat.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment