Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Stir Fry"...

So while I love to cook, I HATE to dishes.  "Stir Frys" are my go to recipes cooked in one pan.  But there's a second strategy at play as well, I really limit my carbohydrates too (noodles, tortillas, bread, etc).  I can achieve both of these with meals I call "Stir Frys".  You've seen my Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry which has a classic Teriyaki flavor, but I do other stir frys that do not have Asian flavors.  I made two of them today, check them out. 
Broccoli, Bean and Bacon Stir Fry (lunch)


This recipe is an adapted version of a recipe I found last year in Cooking Light.  The original called for broccoli rabe and regular bacon, but I have been substituting with regular broccoli and turkey bacon, and today I got even leaner with Canadian bacon and it was just as good.  I make two servings out of this one recipe:

2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil (2 pts)
6 slices Canadian Bacon, chopped (Trader Joe's, slices are about 3-4 inches across, 30 cal and 1 gram of fat for three slices) (2 pts)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, slices
1 cup garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed) (4 pts)
1/8 tsp. of kosher salt
1/8 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese (2 pts)

Directions:  In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook onion and bacon in olive oil for 3 minutes.  Add in all remaining ingredients except for cheese, cover and cook for 3 more minutes.  Toss to combine, and sprinkle cheese over top.  Remove heat and cover for one more minute to let cheese melt, then serve in two bowls.  5 points per serving with 2 vegetable servings, 1 healthy oil and 2 lean proteins.

Chicken Fajita Stir Fry (dinner)

This recipe uses all the protein, vegetables, and seasonings of fajitas, minus the tortillas.

6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast meat,cut into strips (Raw, 6 pts)
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil (2 pts)
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced bell pepper ( I used red and yellow, but any color is fine)
1/4 cup water
2 tsp. McCormick Chicken Fajita Seasoning (this comes in a packet which I find among the taco seasoning, etc.  I only use 2 tsp, because each one has 320 mg. of sodium!)
1/2 cup pico de gallo
4 Tbsp. low fat shredded cheddar cheese ( 2 pts)
4 Tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt or sour cream (1 pt)

Directions:In a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion, bell pepper and chicken in olive oil for 3-5 minutes- covered.  Make sure chicken is cooked, then sprinkle with fajita seasoning, add the water to the pan, stir well, cover and cook for two more minutes.  Transfer to two serving bowls, and top each with 1/4 cup fresh pico de gallo, cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt.  5.5 points per serving.  For two more points, wrap it all in a whole wheat Tortilla Factory tortilla (12 grams of fiber), and for one more point, top this all off with 2 tbsp. guacamole.  Without the tortilla and guacamole, track 2 lean proteins, 3 vegetable servings, and 1 healthy oil.

Now that I've shared these, guess where I'm headed- to do my dishes!  Have a good night and look for my Shrimp Pesto Stir Fry next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment