Thursday, February 3, 2011

Taco Night!

Growing up Taco Night was a favorite family meal.  Of course back then it was very gringo and very unhealthy.  My mom fried our tortillas, filled them with ground beef (not even seasoned with taco seasoning) and we topped them with lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese- and KETCHIUP!  Can you believe it?!?!?!?  I still love taco night, but now it looks and tastes better than ever before, sorry mom.

Tonight we had Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos and they were so good!  I started by chopping up my own pico de gallo (tomato, onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and lime juice), then shredded some cabbage, and made a low fat guacamole (made creamy wih Greek yogurt and lime juice).  For the fish, I bought the frozen and pre-seasoned mahi mahi fillets from Trader Joe's (1 pt per ounce) which we grilled indoors.  Here's how I built my plate:



2 corn tortillas (3 pts according to the package and my calculator), warmed on our grill.
4 ounces flaked mahi mahi fish (4 pts.) cooked according to package directions
2 tbsp. shredded cabbage
2 tbsp. pico de gallo or salsa to your liking
2 tsbp. guacamole (1pt.)

For both tacos it's 8 points.  Since I had two more points left, I also had 1/4 cup of black beans which I topped with another tbsp. of pico de gallo.  In total  I had a serving of whole grains (though not power food), 2 servings of vegetables, a serving of healthy fat and two servings of lean protein.

With pico de gallo in the fridge, guess what's for breakfast tomorrow?  You guessed it, an egg white breakfast burrito!

No comments:

Post a Comment