Friday, February 25, 2011

Three Square Meals... in bowls.

It's been cold and rainy this week, which has been making me crave warm, comfort foods.  It was really cold this morning, so when I got home from the gym not only was I chilly, I was ravenous.  I made a delicious bowl of Apple Cranberry Oatmeal with a side of scrambled egg whites that really hit the spot and kept me full.  For lunch I went back to that fabulous Spinach Salad with balsamic chicken, almonds, cranberries and goat cheese, and for dinner I had the steak and potatoes dinner leftovers, and ended with a scrumptious bowl of Braised Red Cabbage. 

Last weekend we had lunch at Houston's, and on the side of my veggie burger patty (the best veggie burger anywhere) I ordered the seasonal vegetable- Braised Red Cabbage with crumbled goat cheese.  It was so delicious, so when the server cleared my plate I asked what the main ingredients were.  She said balsamic vinaigrette and brown sugar.  Perfect, I went to the web and found Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage at simplyrecipes.com which was very similar.  With a few tweaks it was more WW friendly.

Since I've already posted the salad recipe, here's my oatmeal and braised red cabbage recipes.

Apple Cranberry Oatmeal

1/4 cup dry oatmeal (Quaker quick-cooking 2 pts.)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chunky apple sauce (no sugar added, I like the Trader Joe's brand best 1 pt)
1 tbsp. dried cranberries (1/2 pt)
2 tbsp. sugar free maple syrup (Maple Farms, 1/2 pt)
few shakes of cinnamon

Put dried oatmeal and water in microwave safe bowl and cook accordingly.  Add in all other ingredients and stir- delicious!

Braised Red Cabbage

1 head of red cabbage, chopped
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
6 tbsp. brown sugar
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar

In bottom of large pan place oil and butter, and turn heat to medium high.  When butter is melted, add cabbage and saute 5 minutes until it's slightly wilted.  Then add brown sugar, toss to coat, followed by balsamic vinegar.  Stir, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low, simmering for 30-35 minutes.  Remove from heat and enjoy.  I estimate 2 pts per 1/2 cup.  To make it out of this world, top with 1 tbsp of crumbled goat cheese.

Have a great weekend and look for my Oscar party post!

No comments:

Post a Comment