Friday, March 25, 2011

Diner Food Done Right, A Healthy Tuna Melt.

One of my favorite splurge sandwiches is a classic Tuna Melt, served with French fries.  But they are so high in calories and fat that I rarely order them or make them at home.  I have a half of one a year at Brophy's Brothers in Santa Barbara, and they make it so delicious that it's worth every calorie (they use lots of real mayonnaise and a thick piece of Texas toast, grilled with butter- heaven!).

But I found a lower calorie, lower carbohydrate way to have it as often as I like- and today I was craving it.  I make my own low fat tuna salad, use low fat cheddar cheese and put it on a Whole Wheat Alternative Pita which I use as a pizza crust.  I first saw a Tuna Melt Pizza on the California Pizza Kitchen menu back in the 90s but they don't make it anymore.  So my version is also a great substitute for that item which is no longer available.  I know everyone likes their tuna salad a certain way, so whether you like onion or celery, put it in and count accordingly.  I like dill relish in my tuna salad and it's free!

Tuna Melt Pizza

1 Whole Wheat Alternative Pita (3 pts)
1/2 cup of tuna canned in water, drained (3 pts)
2 tbsp. low fat Best Foods mayonnaise (2 pts according to my WW calculator)
1 tbsp. dill pickle relish (0)
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (0)
1/4 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese (2 pts)

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix tuna with mayonnaise and relish and put down on pita.  Top with chopped tomatoes and cheddar cheese.  Bake 12-14 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.  Cut into four pieces and enjoy!  10 points for the whole pizza and it includes a serving of whole grains, a lean protein and a dairy.  This one will fill you up and keep you satisfied all afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment